The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) is currently considering whether to recommend that two Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs), which were added to the Candidate List in January 2010, should have their uses subject to the Authorization process. For these two substances, ECHA is requesting specific information to help the Agency with its decision. The Agency also is requesting more general information on the twelve other SVHCs that were placed on the Candidate list in January.
The two SVHCs currently under close review are 2,4-dinitrotoluene (CAS No. 121-14-2) and lead chromate (CAS No. 7758-97-6). ECHA has indicated that it is requesting information on their uses and releases to assess whether they should be recommended for the Authorization process. Persons holding relevant information that might be adversely affected by authorization are probably considering their response. ECHA contracted with Risk and Policy Analysts Limited (RPA) to collect the information on ECHA’s behalf, and a questionnaire has been developed and is available for anyone interested in providing information. The questionnaire can be downloaded at: http://www.rpaltd.co.uk/news-dnt.shtml. The deadline for submitting responses is 28 May 2010. For those readers less familiar with the Authorization process, additional details are available at: http://echa.europa.eu/chem_data/authorisation_process_en.asp.
For the other twelve SVHCs placed on the Candidate List in January, ECHA is requesting accurate and up-to-date information on the volumes available on the European market, as well as information on their uses, releases and exposures. This information will help ECHA decide whether to eventually recommend some of these substances for the Authorization process. These substances include:
- Anthracene oil (CAS No. 90640-80-5);
- Anthracene oil, anthracene paste, distn. lights (CAS No. 91995-17-4);
- Anthracene oil, anthracene paste, anthracene fraction (CAS No. 91995-15-2);
- Anthracene oil, anthracene-low (CAS No. 90640-82-7);
- Anthracene oil, anthracene paste (CAS No. 90640-81-6);
- Pitch, coal tar, high temp. (CAS No. 65996-93-2);
- Aluminosilicate Refractory Ceramic Fibres;
- Zirconia Aluminosilicate, Refractory Ceramic Fibres;
- Diisobutyl phthalate (CAS No. 84-69-5);
- Lead chromate molybdate sulphate red (C.I. Pigment Red 104) (CAS No. 12656-85-8);
- Lead sulfochromate yellow (C.I. Pigment Yellow 34) (CAS No. 1344-37-2); and
- tris(2-chloroethyl)phosphate (CAS No. 115-96-8).